Shana is passionate about using fitness as a tool to empower, connect, and support others. In 2018, she started Bootcamp to Benefit, a movement class with full proceeds going to charity. Bootcamp to Benefit historically was offered on a pop-up basis, raising more than $3,400 for various charities including Westside Family Place, RAVEN, Ride to Conquer Cancer, MS Society, Walk to End Brain Tumours, Baby Go Round, BC Cancer Foundation, and many more.
Since March 2020, Shana has offered it (almost)weekly on Zoom, with money raised going to an incredible line-up of charities (see list below). Many of these workouts are posted on Shana’s IGTV (@alexander_shana). Please feel free to do them any time and consider donating to the respective causes! Want to join a live Bootcamp to Benefit? Contact Shana to sign up or to collaborate for a cause you care about.
Bootcamp to Benefit 2020 – A Wrap-Up
Fun facts about Bootcamp to Benefit 2020:
- Together we moved together at 2 in-person and 36 virtual Bootcamp to Benefit classes.
- We supported 10 charities in 2020, and donated a total of $31,070! More than $22,000 of that went to Backpack Buddies.
- Each cause we supported was suggested by one of the participants, so they were all near and dear to the hearts of the people in our community.
- Each virtual classes featured a 90 second Burpee or Boogie Blast, which means we went to more dance parties than most this year!
- Most of the Zoom classes were recorded and are on my Instagram TV, so you can do them again any time!
- It was a team effort of:
- Instructors: Shana Alexander and Danya Rogen
- Breathwork/Mindfulness Practitioners: Lisa Yeates, Dr. Rotem Regev, and Amy Nagel
- Musicians: Erica Chan
- DJs: Danny Alexander and Carey Yuen
- A host of representatives from the charities and causes who helped by promoting the classes, creating donation pages, sharing information, and taking the time to come to class and speak to the group. We are so grateful for your time and all that you do.
- Draw Prize Donors for the End of Year Wrap-Up Class: Glass Sipper, Registered Holistic Nutritionist Heidi Seidman, Lululemon, Periwinkle Designs, and TreatSmarts.
Here are the 10 incredible causes we supported in 2020, with links to their donation pages:
- Backpack Buddies
- BC Cancer Foundation
- Charleigh’s Journey
- Hilarity for Charity
- iDream Library
- One Girl Can
- ProMOTION Plus
- RAVEN: Respecting Aboriginal Values and Environmental Needs
- Take a Hike Foundation
- Vancouver Women’s Health Collective
Stronger Together Vancouver and Workout for Women’s Day
In 2019, Shana and fellow local trainer Andrea Davis co-founded Stronger Together Vancouver, which uses the power of fitness to create community connections and support meaningful causes.
Stronger Together Vancouver seeks to unite the fitness community on International Women’s Day to support girls and women in our community through our signature fundraising campaign: Workout for Women’s Day. On March 8th, 2019 studios and trainers all around Vancouver offered classes with proceeds going to three local charities. Together, they raised almost $7,000 for Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland, Dress for Success Vancouver, and Cause we Care. In 2020, Workout for Women’s Day expanded to a week-long event raising $21,000 for Battered Women’s Support Services, Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, and Girls Rock Camp Vancouver. Workout for Women’s Day 2021 will run from March 8-14 and will feature 7 days of virtual classes led by some of Vancouver’s best instructors.
Check out the website here and follow Stronger Together Vancouver on Instagram @strongertogethervancouver.