Shana is passionate about using fitness as a tool to empower, connect, and support others. In 2018, she started Bootcamp to Benefit, a movement class with full proceeds going to charity. Bootcamp to Benefit historically was offered on a pop-up, in person basis, raising more than $3,400 for various charities including Westside Family Place, RAVEN, Ride to Conquer Cancer, MS Society, Walk to End Brain Tumours, Baby Go Round, BC Cancer Foundation, and many more.
Since March 2020, Shana has offered it on Zoom (and now in-person as well), with more than $88,800 raised for an incredible line-up of charities (see list below). Many of these workouts are posted on Shana’s IGTV (@alexander_shana). Please feel free to do them any time and consider donating to the respective causes! Want to join a live Bootcamp to Benefit? Check the schedule here and contact Shana to sign up or to collaborate for a cause you care about.
Bootcamp to Benefit Highlights and Numbers
- As of March 2020, we have moved together at 87 Bootcamp to Benefit classes.
- We have raised more than $88,800 for 40 incredible charities, listed below!
- Most of the causes we supported were suggested by one of the participants, so they were near and dear to the hearts of the people in our community.
- Each virtual classes featured a 90 second Burpee or Boogie Blast, which means we went to more dance parties than most since March 2020!
- Many phenomenal humans have taken part, including:
- Instructors: Shana Alexander, Danya Rogen, and Asal Nikoopour
- Breathwork/Mindfulness Practitioners: Lisa Yeates, Dr. Rotem Regev, and Amy Nagel
- DJs: Danny Alexander and Carey Yuen
- Musicians: Erica Chan
- Class Partners
- One Space for All in support of WISH and Vancouver Women’s Health Collective
- Henry Goldman in support of Backpack Buddies
- Jacqueline Misshula in support of Baby Go Round Vancouver
- A host of representatives from the charities and causes who helped by promoting the classes, creating donation pages, sharing information, and taking the time to come to class and speak to the group. We are so grateful for your time and all that you do.
- Draw Prize and Gift Bag Donors:
- Glass Sipper
- RHN Heidi Seidman
- Periwinkle Designs
- Supported Soul
- Shop For Your Crew
- F45 Oak & Broadway
- For the Seconds
- This is Plant Curious
- Sin Queso
- Potter Charlene Phung
- Hermit Goods
- Giving Sundays
- Nan’s Estate Garden
- Windfall Cider
- Body Energy Club – East 3rd Ave. location
- Healthy Hippo Candy
- It’s My Momentum
- Plain Jane Skin Bar
- Miss 604
Here are the incredible causes we have supported since 2020, with links to their donation pages:
- Aboriginal Mother Centre Society – $630
- All My Relations – $415
- Avalon Recovery Society – $390
- Baby Go Round – $1,850
- Backpack Buddies – $54,268.92
- Battered Women’s Support Services – $1,000
- Beauty Night Society – $380
- BC Cancer Foundation – $1,320
- Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland – $1,085
- Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan – $350
- Charleigh’s Journey – $1,835
- Covenant House Vancouver – $2,090
- Down Syndrome BC – $530
- Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre – $690
- Elizabeth Fry Society – $325
- Greater Vancouver Food Bank – $540
- Hilarity for Charity – $1,050
- iDream Library – $1,195
- Inclusion BC – $600
- Indian Residential Schools Survivors Society – $1,325
- Kick4Life – $595
- Mamas for Mamas Vancouver (BC flood relief efforts)- $1,400
- Minwaashin Lodge – $40
- Moose Hide Campaign – $120
- Native Women’s Association of Canada – $425
- One Girl Can – $895
- Project SOMOS – $1,035
- ProMOTION Plus – $846
- RAVEN: Respecting Aboriginal Values and Environmental Needs – $565
- SWAN – $295
- Take a Hike Foundation – $915
- True North Aid – $140
- Urban Native Youth Association – $605
- Vancouver Black Advocacy & Therapy Fund – $345
- Vancouver Food Runners – $379
- Vancouver Women’s Health Collective – $1,976
- Velma’s House – $110
- Victoria Native Friendship Centre – $270
- Westside Family Place – $445
- WISH – $620
Stronger Together Vancouver and Workout for Women’s Day
In 2019, Shana and fellow local trainers Andrea Davis and Danya Rogen co-founded Stronger Together Vancouver, which uses the power of fitness to create community connections and support meaningful causes.
Stronger Together Vancouver seeks to unite the fitness community on International Women’s Day to support girls and women in the community through its signature fundraising campaign: Workout for Women’s Day. The campaign has raised more than $145,000 in 5 years!
On March 8th, 2019 studios and trainers all around Vancouver offered classes with proceeds going to three local charities. Together, they raised almost $7,000 for Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland, Dress for Success Vancouver, and Cause we Care. In 2020, Workout for Women’s Day expanded to a week-long event raising $21,000 for Battered Women’s Support Services, Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, and Girls Rock Camp Vancouver. 2021’s event was all Zoom, and $33,447 was raised for a wide range of charities, chosen by the donors themselves. Workout for Women’s Day 2022 raised $40,387 for Battered Women’s Support Services, Vancouver Women’s Health Collective, WISH Drop-In Society. Workout for Women’s Day 2023 raised $43,375.73 to Avalon Recovery Society, Everywoman’s Health Centre, Pacific Immigrant Resources Society, and Women’s Shelters Canada.
Check out the website here and follow Stronger Together Vancouver on Instagram @strongertogethervancouver. Workout for Women’s Day 2023 marks the 5 year anniversary of this awesome event – get ready!!